In The Beginning
In the 1840's miners came to this area in search of gold. Then in the early 1900's settlers came for logging. By 1920's it was turned into a get away for tourist to form the heat of the San Bernardino Valley. They picked Twin Peaks then called Strawberry Flats because it was one of the few flat places in the area. (It’s a lot easier to pitch a tent on flat ground.
Why the name Twin Peaks?
Twin Peaks was originally known a s Strawberry Flats, probably because of the wild strawberries the early settlers found, they still grow!. Later someone change the name to Twin Peaks though no one seems quiet sure where the other peak actually is located or who changed the name. Twin Peaks had the first year around store and post office in the Lake Arrowhead area in 1919
The Strawberry Lodge
The Strawberry Lodge was built in the late 1920's and used a club house and meeting place for people who had brought property in Strawberry Lodge Tract. But the developer had bad timing the great depression hit and no one was buying lots, especially vacation property. So he sold the Strawberry Lodge which was turned into a home by the owner . Today you can rent this Lodge which is still a good meeting place for families.
June's Gift Shop
No longer standing June’s Gift Shop was located across from today's Mountain High Market in Twin Peaks. Also visible is the once Twin Peaks fire station and Mobil gas station.
The Antler's Inn
The Inn was built by the Dexter's in the very early 1920's with trees he logged in the area. This impressive log building was originally a large dance pavilion and dining area with small cabins for guests. It has been used a few times as backdrop in movies. Today the Antlers Inn is now a restaurant and the cabins are under going refurbishment.
Switzer's and the post office
The store, was originally known as the Tip Top Grocery Store. Bert a forest ranger and his wife Sara Switzer bought the store in 1919 and turned it into first Year -O-Round Grocery Store and Post office. In 1948 an electrical fire burnt the store down. Now Pine Rose Cabin lobby is located where the store once existed..
The Clark Gable Cabin
In the beginning of the 1930 Hollywood's stars discovered our beautiful location. All of Lake Arrowhead became known as "Play ground of the Stars". Clark Gable used to come and stay at this cabin. As the story goes he like to hide out here and enjoy some fishing at Lake Arrowhead